|Anaphylactic shock is an emergency condition requiring immediate professional medical attention. CPR and other lifesaving measures may be required. This may include placing a tube through the nose or mouth into the airway (endotracheal intubation) or emergency surgery to place a tube directly into the trachea (tracheostomy). Epinephrine is given by injection and/or inhalation. This opens the airways and raises the blood pressure by constricting blood vessels. |
Treatment for shock includes intravenous fluids and medications that support the actions of the heart and circulatory system. Antihistamines and corticosteroids may be given to further reduce symptoms after lifesaving measures and epinephrine are administered.
Once the individual stabilizes, observation should continue for late reaction symptoms for at least 24 hours after a severe or extreme reaction. Hot showers, baths, and alcohol must be avoided for at least 24 hours to prevent a recurrence of low blood pressure.
A medic alert bracelet should be worn, and individuals should be cautioned after an episode of anaphylaxis to avoid exposure to the inciting agent. When no inciting agent is identified, the individual should be referred to an allergist to identify the cause of anaphylaxis. Individuals with food reactions should refrain from eating in restaurants where the ingredients in dishes cannot be identified.
Source: Medical Disability Advisor